Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Quality Control


This photo shows a work in progress on the dovetails for the lectern's base. They looks nice, but this is take two. The first version was below par and didn't make the cut. There's no excuses but basically it came down to being in a rush, and being in a rush is never good for quality. 

John West wouldn't want part of this.
Substandard Dovetails.
Wenzolf & Sons' Saw.
Today I started on take two. I milled some new timber, took time with layout, used the proper jigs (bench hook, shooting board and dovetail marker), and didn't rush. Still a work in progress but looking better.

Now what to do with the old one. Cut the joints and use the timber? Add some wheels and base for a child's wagon?

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog. I added it to the blog aggregator on my site at UnpluggedShop.com.

    When you make a new post, within about two hours, the headline will automatically appear on my site so woodworkers everywhere can click over to your site and read it.

    If you ever have any questions or concerns, please let me know.

    I usually try to get blogs that are at least 50% woodworking hand tools or of unique interest to hand tool users.

    A link to my homepage or blog is always appreciated, but hardly necessary.

    Thanks,
    Luke Townsley

    ReplyDelete

Like at Facebook

Redbubble