Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Garden beds by a furniture maker

While the shop continues to be without power my focus has remained on the gardens. I'm installing various garden beds and in particular a large one on the north side of the shop. This bed will be 5.4-6m long x 1.2m wide x 0.5m high, made from 2.4m x 1.2m x 50mm Tallowwood sleepers. A simple task to cut to size and screw together... however... I don't like simple. Rather than simple screws I've decided to dovetail the joints. In a sense treating the project as a rather large chest or blanket box. 


To begin with I've used hardwood dowel and titebond 3 to joint the end pieces.


I've recently acquired a  Makita BDF459SHE brushless drill. This is a piece of kit I can definitely recommend. Plenty of power. Not too heavy. Holds a charge well.


I used the circular saw to trim the ends using a MDF guide and a Chris Vesper Square


Then laid out the joints like I would any other. 


However, the dovetail saw stayed in the toolchest and the 4351FCT Jigsaw did all the hard work. 


A slight deflection in the blade resulted in some angled cuts. However, repeating the cuts on the other side and adjusting the oscillation of the saw resulted in a good result without chiselling.  


The site of the future Northside bed. I've be excavating slowly by hand to level it and remove rocks. I'll also be placing a drainage channel along the edge. 

Joining the sleepers end on end will be a little tricker... perhaps finger joints, perhaps half lap... proper scraf joints made be a little too much. 


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Like at Facebook

Redbubble